Posted by Mitch Mitchell on Feb 9, 2010
This was an interesting year for Super Bowl commercials, I couldn’t believe how many of them had men and women in their underwear, mainly men. And let’s just say that these weren’t people almost any of us would consider as “hot”.
Overall there were 68 commercials of mainly what we’re used to. There were car commercials, beer commercials, Doritos commercials galore. There were a few Denny’s commercials with screaming chickens because they were running the free Grand Slam breakfast promotion like they ran last year (and for the second year in a row I missed it, since it was today until 2PM). There was a lot of pre-game controversy over an anti-abortion ad that didn’t quite live up to the hype, and was a much nicer commercial than I was expecting it to be. And there were the usual duds, but that’s to be expected.
Anyway, I have my favorite six, which I’m going to rank in reverse order. It seems that most of my favorite choices weren’t ranked all that high by other consumers, but hey, this is my list. And the commercials are here for your review as well; I wonder how long they’ll stay around this time before I’ll have to go back and find updated ones. Anyway, here we go.
6. Coke, Sleepwalker. This one had a guy who sleepwalks through the jungle and all its dangers because he’s in search of a Coca Cola. I thought it was really creative; critics said they didn’t get it. What’s to get? Course, throw in a little Bolero and I’m a happy guy.
5. Doritos, Dog. This one has a guy sitting on a park bench when a dog comes wanting a Dorito, but has a dog collar that zaps the dog if he barks. My wife didn’t get it, but I loved it. The critics didn’t like this one either; shame.
4. Budweiser, Clydesdales & Steer. Every year we all wait for the Clydesdales, and Budweiser, which wasn’t initially going to do one this year, eventually came through. This time they added a friends back story which included a steer with the same colors as the clydesdales; I thought it was cute, the critics thought it was unoriginal.
3. Letterman, Leno & Oprah. Man, no one saw this coming, and it’s one of two that the critics agree with me on. All we’ve heard over the past number of years was how much David Letterman and Jay Leno have been after each other. And of course we heard how Oprah first didn’t like Dave, and now was against Jay because of what’s going on with Conan. Great spot, and great satire also.
2. Snickers, Betty White & Abe Vigoda. This is the other one critics loved, and it seems it was the most popular ad of the night in most surveys. Having Betty White utter the line “that’s not what your girlfriend said” is a classic, and pulling Abe Vigoda out for another cameo was just a great touch.
1. Doritos, Little Boy. This one started out with a creep factor, but when this little boy drops his video remote, you know it’s on. I liked the sass it showed, and a little boy protecting his mother against someone whose values seem skewed… big ups for me.
And there you are, my favorites. I’m sure you have your own, if you watched the game, or saw any of the commercials; share your thoughts.