Back in September, I wrote a post called Upgrading Technology, talking about problems I perceived I was having with my blog, and it turned out to actually be the browser instead, most specifically, IE6. The site just won’t render properly in IE6 for whatever reason, but once I upgraded to IE7, it worked just fine.

Well, I just decided to check my site in the place where I’m consulting, and it wasn’t formatted properly. I remembered what had happened before, so I checked the browser, and indeed, it’s still IE6. Ugh! Well, this isn’t my computer, per se, so I can’t do much about it. However, I’d really like to encourage people to upgrade to at least IE7, even though IE8 may be on the horizon, because without your doing it, many sites aren’t going to look like they’re supposed to. I have no idea why Microsoft did such a thing with their previous browser versions, and I’m glad they’re not doing it anymore, but they could have done something with an update to IE6 so that it could see newer sites better, I’m thinking.

Anyway, that’s software issue number one. Software issue number two pertains to WordPress blogs specifically. As many of you remember, we talked about problems with our blogs in relation to javascript issues a couple of weeks ago. Well, that worked fairly well in changing the access to my site for everyone else, and of course I’m all about the visitors to my site. 🙂 However, when it came to my Admin, things were much slower and bogged down.

Now, if you’re me, you only put up with stuff for so long before you finally decide to take some action. The first thing I did was disable WP Super Cache, since it was the last thing I’d loaded. Admin seemed to run fine for a little while, but the next time I signed on, it was bogged down again. I went into Google to look for a problem, and someone recommended actually deleting WP Super Cache to see if that would fix things. So I did that, and it seemed things were working well once more. However, the next time I signed on, more problems. Man, was I frustrated.

Most of the articles I came to said that one should go about disabling each plugin one by one until you found the problem, as it was probably related to one of them. Well, with the high number of plugins I have, I really didn’t want to go through that mess, so I pushed on with the research. And I finally came across something that seemed to make some sense. What it said is that some plugins are tied in to the original websites where one gets the plugins still being active. Once a site shuts down, it will mess something else up.

I thought about that, and remembered that there were a few days when another one of my plugins, Tweet My Blog, went screwy when their site went down for a few days. I hadn’t thought back on that, because most of our plugins we think of as just adding to our site and that’s that, but many of them, like CommentLuv, are definitely tied in to the original website, and many of you remember that Andy was having some problems here and there over the summer as he was working on that one.

So, I decided it was much easier to click on each plugin’s homepage link under the Plugins section to see just who might be down. There was a couple I knew I didn’t have to check, thank goodness. Anyway, the next to the bottom plugin turned out to be the culprit. It seems that the site for the WWordPress Database Backup plugin is gone. I have no idea how long it’s been down, but it’s gone. So I disabled it, and things have started working as they used to, nice and fast. I took the test one step further and rebooted the laptop, then signed back in, just to make sure it was doing what it was supposed to do, and man, it’s a go!

So, if any of you are experiencing this same issue, and I know at least one person is because I remember a comment on it, though I can’t remember who made it. This might work wonders for you also; at least it’s worth a shot, and much less time consuming that deleting all those plugins you probably also have.

Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0