Posted by Mitch Mitchell on Jul 16, 2009
Sometimes the attempt to do something that will help automate processes doesn’t quite work. In this case, I’ve realized that I had to remove the Whydowork Adsense plugin from all of my blogs.
What is that? It’s a plugin that allows you to have Adsense automatically put into your blog posts at certain times and in certain places of your choosing. I actually thought it was pretty neat, as it gave me the opportunity to monetize older posts by putting Adsense into them without my having to go back and put it in myself. I also had it set to populate the 3rd and 5th posts on the main page of each of my blogs, since you’re allowed 3 instances of Adsense per page.
The problem I noticed is that, for whatever reason, it sometimes locked up the blog or a post, making people believe my site might be down. I kept wondering why it would give me problems every once in awhile when I tried getting into the site also. Well, if you’re paying attention, and I was, usually you’ll see what link a page might be trying to load. In my case, I noticed it was Google syndication. And I also knew it wasn’t the Google sidebar ad because it was already showing. So, I knew it had to be the ads within the posts themselves. And, since it was happening on all 3 blogs, I knew it had to be that plugin.
Therefore, I’ve removed it, and so far I haven’t noticed any of the blogs hanging up anymore. But this does prove that those of us on WordPress have to always be vigilant in checking our plugins, because we never know what might suddenly start messing stuff up. I actually learned that again last week after I upgraded my blogs to WordPress 2.8.1.