Posted by Mitch Mitchell on Dec 17, 2010
Let’s just get this out of the way; my 2010 goal process stunk. Well, that’s not quite accurate; I didn’t have a full process to reach my goals, so I stunk. As a matter of fact, I stunk so much that in August I even tried to change a couple of things. I think I trapped myself into a corner; what would Admiral Ackbar say? Well, no matter; let’s take a look back to see what I was hoping to accomplish this year.
Here were the goals:
1. Earn at least $15,000 online.
2. Reach those 500 subscribers.
3. Increase real visitors to this site to 3,000 a month on average.
4. Get even more publicity this year by guest posting.
5. Get my Alexa rank for two of my blogs into the top 100,000.
How’d I do?
1. Hah! Next!
2. I hit 175 one day.
3. Wait a minute; I hit this one. Google Analytics says I’m averaging 4,400 visitors a month, while Count Per Day says I’m averaging 17,000+. Hmmm… either way, I actually attained one of my goals.
4. I started the year strong with some guest posts, got a couple more in the middle of the year and that’s it. I think I wrote 6 guest posts this year, but wait… that was actually higher than last year. So I guess I hit this one as well.
5. Hmmm… I guess I broke this one as well, sitting in the 90,000’s as I write this.
That means I actually hit 3 of my 5 goals; I guess I didn’t fail so much after all, did I? And now that I think about it, I really can’t gripe all that much about #1 either. Sure, $15,000 was definitely audacious, but in the end I’m averaging nearly $200 a month with all the things I do, way higher than in 2009. So maybe I’m on the way up in some fashion.
So, I actually only failed on #2; I’m still wondering about that one, but you know, it increased for the year, actually doubling.
This is why one sets goals. Yeah, a couple of those were crazy, and yet in a way it pushed me to be better, and I was better even if I couldn’t hit the actual goal for 2 of them. Guess I should be proud of myself instead, right?
So, how did you do with your goals for the year? A few of you commented on this post about the last 3rd of the year, so it would be interesting to hear if you at least finished strong.