Internal Server Errors And Plugins
Posted by Mitch Mitchell on Sep 13, 2009
I’ve been having all sorts of issues with my dashboards ever since WordPress 2.8 came about. I also kept having Internal Server Error 500 pop up from time to time. With 2.8, I actually found a fix for it, and that should have been that.
But with each update, that fix wasn’t working so much. None of my blogs worked well after 2.8 anyway, and we had to keep updating. And the WordPress people kept updating every two weeks, and that was irritating because automatic upgrade wouldn’t work for me. When WordPress 2.8.4 came out, I decided I wasn’t upgrading at all; nope, just wasn’t doing it.
That is, until I started reading all the news about blogs that hadn’t updated being hacked into and basically having all content destroyed. Man, nothing will get you moving faster than scary news like that. So, I finally updated all my blogs; one had already been updated when I was hoping to fix something else, but it hadn’t fixed my issue.
Over the last couple of days I’ve been getting that Internal Server Error thing over and over, and never when doing the same thing. I was going nuts, and I was trying to check plugins and even thought about reloading my software. And I was right on the verge of doing that when I decided, based on research, that it had to be the plugins, or at least some of them.
I started with my business blog, which was having the most issues. I turned off all plugins except Akismet. Then I went to the dashboard; it was working perfectly. Slowly and surely, I added one plugin at a time, to see which one would make the dashboard stop working. I was hoping it was only one, and I was hoping it would be WP Super Cache, which I’d just loaded.
Turns out it was WP Super Cache; but it wasn’t alone.I had to kill four other plugins as well. Those were Broken Link Checker, Gravatar, Why Do Work Adsense, and WP Ajax Edit Comments. I couldn’t believe it was all of them, but there it was. The only one that’s really bothering me a lot is Broker Link Checker, because it works great. The others,… well, I’d like to have them, but I really don’t need them.
I turned on WP Super Cache because my blog had been running a little sluggish, and I thought that would take care of it. Turns out it didn’t do anything, as there was another plugin that was recommended to use with it, but it wouldn’t work on my blogs because, supposedly, my host is running PHP version 4 instead of version 5. I might not have the terminology fully correct, but I have the essence and the numbers correct. Anyway, it didn’t work on this blog, so it doesn’t really matter that I’m removing it, for the second time.
I then went to my finance blog and deactivated the same plugins, if I had them there, and went to the dashboard. There was still a problem. I had a feeling I knew what the problem was, and I was correct; my plugin called Backup WP was the problem. It’s the only blog I had it on, as I use WordPress Database Backup on the other blogs, so I’ll just switch to that and things will be just fine.
Then I came to this blog and did the same thing, and there you are; all is right with the world once more. Now, what I want to make sure I say is that I don’t know that one of these plugins may work well on its own, but doesn’t play well with another plugin that I loaded first. However, I loaded the plugins I really felt I needed first, and if they worked, then I moved on to the next one.
Anyway, now I’ll monitor things over the next few days to see if I get that error again. I hope not; this can be quite tiring. Check out your plugins if you have any problems. Deactivate them all first if you need to, like I did the first time around, and if you have no problems after that, you definitely know it’s a plugin issue. Good luck,